Case Evaluation

Fill out the form below to get in touch with one of our attorneys.

View Our Blog
Meet Your Attorney
Lee Ciccarelli

Lee Ciccarelli

Lee Ciccarelli is the founder and managing partner of Ciccarelli Law Offices with over two decades experience as a practicing attorney.

Office Locations
Primary Location
304 North High Street West Chester, PA 19380
Map It
Secondary Locations

These locations are available by appointment only

1515 Market St., #200 Philadelphia, PA 19102
Map It
135 East State St. Kennett Square, PA 19380
Map It
600 West Germantown Pike Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
Map It
1489 Baltimore Pike Ste 221 Springfield, PA 19064
Map It
101 Lindenwood Dr, Ste 225 Malvern, PA 19355
Map It
150 N. Radnor Chester Rd Ste. F200, Radnor, PA 19087
Map It
313 West Liberty St., Ste 341 Lancaster, PA 17603
Map It

Child Relocation and Custody Orders

There are a variety of reasons why a parent would want to relocate their family. Common reasons include new career opportunities, better quality of life, or improved educational opportunities for their children. However, it is important for parents to understand how the relocation will affect the child, as well as the child’s relationship with the other parent given a custody agreement.

In many cases, the parent who wishes to relocate has to follow strict guidelines before relocating with the child. If you are a parent who is looking to relocate or the mother or father of your child has relocated without notifying you, it is critical to carefully consider and exercise your rights.

West Chester PA Attorney for Child Relocation Hearings

The experienced legal team at Ciccarelli Law Offices have a thorough understanding of the laws associated with child custody in Pennsylvania. With meeting locations in Lancaster, West Chester, Philadelphia, Kennett Square, Plymouth Meeting, Springfield, King of Prussia, Radnor, and Malvern, our family lawyers are able to provide quality and convenient legal representation to clients throughout the state.

Our compassionate team will approach your case with the tact and guidance necessary to help you exercise your parental rights, against your ex husband, ex wife, or other partner. We represent clients in Chester County, Delaware County, Montgomery County, Lancaster County, as well as clients in the greater Philadelphia region. For a free consultation, contact Ciccarelli Law Offices today at (877) 529-2422.

Relocating a Child After a Pennsylvania Custody Agreement

Child Relocation Custody Hearings in Chester County PA

According to Pennsylvania law, if the custodial parent wants to relocate with the child, he or she must provide written notice to each person who has custodial rights of the child. This notice must usually be given at least 60 days before the scheduled move.

After the non-custodial parent has received the written notice, he or she can either agree or disagree with the relocation. If the parent disagrees with the proposed relocation, he or she must file a motion with the court requesting a hearing within 30 days of receiving the notice. 

Back to top

Factors That Influence Relocation Approval in Pennsylvania

If a motion is filed and a hearing takes place, a judge will decide whether or not the relocation will be approved. Several factors go into the judge’s decision, including:

  • The child’s relationship with each parent
  • The reason for the desired relocation
  • The reason the non-custodial parent is against the move
  • Whether or not the child’s overall quality of life will be improved by relocating
  • Whether or not the distance of the move will make it too difficult for the non-custodial parent to maintain a schedule for visitation

Back to top

Penalties for Relocating a Child without Permission

If the parent receives sufficient notice of the proposed relocation and does not object or file a motion for a court hearing within the allotted amount of time, he or she cannot object to the relocation in the future. However, the parent who is relocating must still file paperwork with the court before relocating.

If the parent relocates with their son or daughter without giving the other parent sufficient notice, or without getting permission from the courts, he or she can be in contempt of court for violating the child custody order.

If a parent is found to be in contempt of court, he or she can be ordered to pay the court cost and attorney fees of the other parent, be sentenced to time in jail, or even lose custody of the child.

Back to top

Pursuing Parental Rights and Child Relocation with a Family Law Attorney

If you are in a situation where you must relocate your family or if you wish to contest your child's relocation, contact the qualified Chester County family law attorneys of Ciccarelli Law Offices. We proudly serve mothers and fathers throughout West Chester, Phoenixville, Coatesville, Norristown, Exton, Media, Downingtown, and nearby areas during this stressful time.

Call today at (877) 529-2422 or send an online message to schedule your consultation. Your first consultation is free, and it is the first step in figuring out the best approach towards achieving an amicable resolution based on your specific circumstances.